1. Sheep feeding
2. Site of sheep production youth group in Oromia region
3. SOT: Fatuma Adem Abdulahi – Beneficiary of Sheep rearing project - (Oromo):
From the training I learned how to raise and care for sheep and learned about their gestation period. We sell the sheep selectively and are able to save money in the bank. We gradually improve through this project by saving money.
4. Various of sheep grazing
5. Veterinary with sheep
6. SOT Wondwossen Desalew – Head of Agriculture Office, Kalu District, Amhara Region (Amharic):
This is a good option to prevent youth migration. We will build on what we’ve learned and scale up the project in other areas. We are doing great work that’s motivating youth and community members, inspiring them to work in their area of origin.
7. Various of beneficiaries of animal fattening project with cattle
8. Cattle drinking from a pond
9. SOT Mohamed Seid – Beneficiary of Animal fattening project (Amharic)
Yes, I thought about migrating before the project started here. I was about to leave. I didn’t want to remain a burden on my family. I wanted to have income to support myself and become independent, but this project was started and kept me from leaving.
10. Detail of cattle head
11. Cattle in cowshed
12. Mohamed stroking and measuring cow size
13. Various of Mohamed discussing data with co-beneficiary in the cowshed
14. Various of cow, sheep, chicks, youths in vegetable garden
15. Various of beneficiaries of Sheep rearing project in Oromia Region
16. SOT Fatuma Adem Abdulahi – Beneficiary of Sheep rearing project - (Oromo):
I like my cooperative. It is free from loan and debt. There is no interest to pay from our income, so we can save money.
17. Wide shot of landscape with a dirt road
18. Detail of feet walking through a vegetable plot
19. Young people walking through a vegetable plot
20. Beneficiary of chicken production project walking up to her child and embracing him
SOT: Amiat Ahmed – Beneficiary of Chicken production project (Amharic)
I have a cute son. I don’t want to leave him, but I cannot say huge life challenge cannot drive young people to migrate. If I should leave for migration again I’ll do it the legal way. There are legal ways to migrate.
21. Amiat Ahmed with her child
22. Wide shot of Amiat’s home with her and her child on the doorstep
23. Beneficiary of horticulture project in her home with her daughter
24. SOT Radi Seid – Beneficiary of Horticulture project (Amharic)
My daughter wasn’t happy when I was living away from her. She didn’t have her mother’s love, but now she has my love. I send her to school in the morning and she finds me at home when she returns. She is happy now.
25. CU Radi’s daughter
26. Detail of schoolbooks
27. Wide shot of Radi and her doughter coming out of their home